Thursday, April 27, 2017

April 27th: 4:00 AM

I'm not sure what the criteria is to differentiate a Freeze Warning from a Frost Advisory but I personally shall call tonight a Freeze Warning.  My alarms went off at about midnight to indicate 35 degrees but I ignored them and went back to sleep.  At 3:00 AM I went to the highway as the Weather Channel was showing a current temperature of 28 degrees.  At our location we have had a hard frost.  With all plants covered and protected, our product at the highway actually looked better at 3:00 AM than it did at 3:00 PM on Wednesday afternoon.  Something to do with 30 mph north winds!  We work way too hard growing plants to allow them to freeze so we do whatever is required to make sure they do not.  The greenhouses at our growing site have had the heat turned off for several weeks due to the warm conditions.  When I went into them at 4:00 am the digital thermometers were showing a 35 degree temperature inside the buildings so the heat went back on.  I was surprised by the low temps inside the buildings.  Just more evidence that you don't take your long johns off till Mother's Day!!

We will be forced to open late on Thursday morning due to the cold temps.  I'll post on this blog when we get opened up for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment